Firstly I would like to apologise for not being as active on the site over the Summer, but I’m back now and you’ll be seeing a lot more of me in the coming weeks!
Many months ago I remember asking my friends how they felt about the national side, and if they had the choice, would they prefer it if Newcastle won a trophy? Or would they prefer England to win the World Cup.
Of course this is completely hypothetical situation because, let’s be honest, I can’t see either of those things happening soon, but it certainly divided peoples’ opinions.
The answers I got all fitted into one of the following categories:
1. I’d rather England won the World Cup every day of the week and if you think any different then perhaps you should consider applying for a Welsh passport.
2. It depends which competition; if it is the Champions League then Newcastle every time, otherwise national pride has to come first.
3. I couldn’t choose between them. I support both sides passionately and would enjoy one side’s success just as much as the other.
4. I’d much rather Newcastle won any competition than England apart from the League Cup as it has become a tinpot competition which some managers use as a reserve exercise.
5. Your club should always come before country and you’re a Mackem if you don’t agree. I’d rather Newcastle won a game than England won the World Cup. Hell, I’d rather we won a throw in.
As you can see the responses varied greatly, and personally I would rather Newcastle won anything as I don’t feel any sort of connection with the current England side. I have never seen England play live, and probably never will thanks to the completion of New Wembley which means games are no longer played around the country which made it easier for fans to watch the side.
At times the England side feel like a London and Manchester XI with very little in common with our area. This is becoming increasingly true as Capello has watched West Ham more times than the three main North East clubs put together.
I remember being distraught when we were knocked out by Portugal in 2006 but last night I barely glanced at the England game. For some reason I just don’t feel it any more.
So where do your allegiances lie when it comes to ‘Club v Country’? I have decided against implementing a poll as I think it would be more interesting to read your individual answers and reasons.
How do you feel?