Fabricio Coloccini’s could be sorted out one way or another today if you listen to reports in the press and the mutterings of his Father.
A meeting was believed to have been held yesterday with lawyers representing both parties present, but it would appear that the meeting ended with no resolution and further talks are scheduled for today.
Colo, apparently anyway, wants to return to Argentina to play for San Lorenzo, a team he supposedly supports and a club which his Father works currently. San Lorenzo also want to sign the player, but the issue is that Colo is under contract with us having signed a new deal last year, and San Lorenzo can’t afford to pay market value for him and basically want Newcastle to let him go for free.
All this has been muddied by rumours of personal problems which remain just that for now with, and rightly so, no confirmation on the rumours from either party. However, the words of Colo’s Father make me wonder what would happen if we just turned round and said no?
“There was an inconclusive meeting today,” Coloccini Snr told Rock and Closs on Monday. “Tomorrow (Tuesday) there will be a decision. We both desire the transfer.
“Fabricio is very anxious. He wants a decision to be made one way or another. I believe this is the moment to move. Newcastle have asked him to wait until May. The issue is if San Lorenzo will wait until that date.”
“It would be beautiful if both of us were at San Lorenzo, the club we love. Fabricio is eager to return but he wants to do so in an elegant way.”
The “he wants a decision made one way or another” part doesn’t exactly paint a picture of someone who is dead set on a move does it? Get him to stay until the summer and reassess the situation then! Also I dare say the part about Colo wanting to renege on his contract in an “elegant way” is lost a bit in translation. I’d guess amicable would have been a better word to use.
I don’t know what is going to happen with this one to be honest. I’m of the opinion that if he wants away then we must get a transfer fee for him as, whatever you think of the board, the manager, the club, right now, we aren’t a charity.
On the other hand, if his heart is set on San Lorenzo, as it is according to his Dad, then do we keep an unhappy player?
I guess we’ll see what happens soon enough.