According to The Chronicle, Rafa Benitez has now made it ‘crystal clear’ to the Newcastle United board that he wants FOUR new signings in before next Thursday’s deadline – a striker, a number 10, a left-back an a centre-back.
Rondon looks set to be the striker signed (albeit at the expense of Dwight Gayle), whilst we’ve been linked to Joe Bryan and Nicolas Tagliafico at left-back and the likes of Federico Fernandez, Ahmed Hegazi and Diego Reyes at centre-back.
With just 10 days left to do business, it’s already a joke that we’re having to do the bulk of our buying this late in the day – made even worse to hear how Lee Charnley is believed to have responded to Rafa’s latest request.
As The Chronicle’s Lee Ryder reveals below, Benitez has been told he’ll receive no additional backing and must instead work with his ‘limited spending pot’ to deliver these FOUR signings:
‘Rafa Benitez still wants to add FOUR new players to his squad before deadline day.
‘It is understood that the Newcastle United boss has made his concerns crystal clear to managing director Lee Charnley after handing a wanted list to the hierarchy in the last few days.
‘Benitez immediately flagged up that a new centre-back was needed following the injury to Florian Lejeune while his wish-list also contained left-back targets – including Ajax’s Nicolas Tagliafico – and both a striker and a new number 10.
‘However, Benitez has been told he must continue to cut his cloth accordingly and that only a limited spending pot is available during the rest of the window.’
It’s beyond a joke now.
We’ve raised over £40m in player sales and spent just £17m so far. That’s a profit of £25m at present, yet this doesn’t even factor in the £123m raised by the club last season and the £40m instalment of Premier League cash believed to have been received in the middle of July.
Who knows how much Rafa has to play with, but if it’s true that we’re ‘unable’ to sign left-backs Joe Bryan or Nicolas Tagliafico for £6m and £8m respectively, I’m seriously concerned.