According to damning ‘exclusive’ from the Mail’s Craig Hope, Mike Ashley is ‘close to conceding defeat’ in his attempt to sell Newcastle United – after no interested party has shown they’re able to a fund a deal thus far.
The piece says that the NUFC owner has not heard from Peter Kenyon’s consortium in recent weeks – suggesting he is STILL short on funds to complete any takeover – with no other group believed to have made any progress after showing early interest.
Hope states that Ashley could now be set to make plans for the ‘immediate future’ on the assumption that he remains at the club – with him expected at St James’ Park today ahead of our crunch clash with Cardiff.
Here’s a snippet from the Mail’s latest piece:
Mike Ashley is close to conceding defeat in his effort to sell Newcastle United with none of the interested parties able to fund a deal.
Sources close to the Magpies owner say he has not heard from the consortium headed by Peter Kenyon in recent weeks, nor has any other group attempted to progress their interest.
hat could potentially be good news for manager Rafa Benitez, should the threat of relegation force Ashley to spend this month.
Sources say they have not given up hope on a deal for Atlanta United playmaker Miguel Almiron but an agent’s fee in the region of £4million is said to be a major sticking point.
It means Ashley is now making plans for the immediate future on the assumption he will remain owner of the club.
Sportsmail understands Ashley will be at St James’ Park for Saturday’s visit of relegation rivals Cardiff City and those behind the scenes are hoping he and Benitez can re-open their dialogue after meeting earlier in the season.
The only slight silver lining to all this could be Ashley comes to his senses and sanctions a deal for Miguel Almiron (with report saying £4m agent fee is major stumbling block) – however I’m clutching at straws at best if I honestly believe he’s suddenly going to spend big.
One thing that screams out to me when reading this piece – Has Mike Ashley priced people out of a takeover once again? For a man that ‘wants out’, he doesn’t appear to make it easy for interested parties.
The only thing that surprises me about this takeover update is that it’s come in the middle of January and not moments before the transfer window slams shut.