TalkSPORT ‘pundit’ Dean Ashton has questioned whether Benitez brought anything other than ‘stability’ to St James’ Park in a shameful rant at the former NUFC boss.
To make matters worse, ex-Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy has also got in on the act, saying fans should not jump the gun and presume it’s Mike Ashley’s fault for losing the Spaniard.
We know talkSPORT rarely help themselves, often allowing ill-informed and clueless ‘pundits’ on their show, but these two rants from Murphy and Ashton really show how little they understand Benitez as a manager and his struggles under Mike Ashley.
First off, here’s what ex-West Ham striker/sick-note Dean Ashton has had to say about Rafa, claiming he was never a ‘miracle worker’ and questioning just how much he actually brought to the club:
What is he bringing other than stability you say? Here’s a few points:
- He’s the one man who’s been able to stand up to Mike Ashley and galvanise our dejected support over the past 12 years.
- He’s improved several players who were average at best before his arrival.
- He signed the likes of Schar, Hayden, Rondon, Dubravka, Lejeune and Almiron for a combined £35m.
- He created a squad that showed incredible fight and belief, with the team spirit as good as it’s ever been over the past 15 years.
- We were the 2nd best side outside the big six in the last 30 Premier League games (our early season struggle was largely down to the total mess Mike Ashley left him in over the summer, meaning we started last season woefully unprepared).
- We conceded less than Man Utd & Arsenal last season with just one defender in our ranks that cost over £8m.
- We were the only team to beat Man City in the Premier League in 2019.
- Only Man City and Liverpool lost less away games.
Oh, and he’s achieved all this with a NEGATIVE net spend over the past few years, but no, no, his football is a bit boring and we didn’t do well enough in the cups.
I’d admit that we did actually have a half decent group of players last season, but he must have missed the fact we finished 10th the season before with Joselu up top! And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, making this utter nonsense from Ashton.
And then to Murphy, a man who shows zero understanding of what’s going on at the club, with his comments below showing how naive and ignorant he is to Rafa’s problems under Ashley:
Thankfully, there was finally some sense spoken on talkSPORT following Murphy and Ashton’s clueless claims, with Andy Goldestein actually getting it spot on below: