Despite recent claims that the Serbian is going nowhere, Aleksandar Mitrovic’s future at Newcastle United remains unclear, as he was left out of Benitez’s latest squad yet again in Wednesday’s game against Burton.
The Chronicle reported last month that the striker would not be sold by United this summer, however his lack of game time for Newcastle this season is hardly conducive of a player in Benitez’s future plans. That being said, the report maintained the striker was happy on Tyneside, with the club seeing the 22 year-old as a young player that can develop further next season.
This is all good and well, however Mitrovic is yet to feature in the last 7 games following February’s 2-2 home draw with Bristol City, failing to be selected for the match day squad on several occasions.
He was an unused substitute on Saturday against Wigan & failed to even make the bench for the visit of Burton Albion on Wednesday night, with the returning Daryl Murphy immediately taking his place.
Despite scoring a great goal for Serbia over the International break, it appears the striker still can’t find a way into the squad, never mind the starting 11. Ominous signs?
When handed his opportunity, Mitrovic has often failed to take his chance in the side, struggling in a season that we hoped may be the making of him.
He may be young and his temperament appears to be improving, but he is hardly showing signs that he could do business in the top flight next season, currently being our 3rd choice striker behind Dwight Gayle and Daryl Murphy.
With additional attacking options certain to arrive should we gain promotion, I’m struggling to see where he fits in, especially given he often fails to feature as it is.
It must be said, he’s rarely moaned given his startling lack of game time and I hope he proves me wrong, but I struggle to see how Newcastle could justify turning down a substantial summer bid, given his form this season and Benitez’s apparent lack of faith in the Serbian.