A year in the Championship is a long hard slog. While Newcastle do look odds on to gain automatic promotion, sitting 2nd with just 3 games to play, we’ve been doing our best to throw it away in recent weeks.
We stand 6 points clear of Reading in 3rd (equal games played) and 7 points above Huddersfield in 4th (who have one game in hand on us).
While this appears a comfortable gap with 3 games to go (4 for Huddersfield), our recent form has created a real cause for concern, with fans eager to see our Premier League fate confirmed as soon as possible, with the thought of this all going to the final day quite unbearable.
Newcastle may be handed the chance to seal promotion on Monday at St. James’ Park, however this depends on results elsewhere, with Huddersfield and Reading’s results today holding the key if we are to enjoy a potential promotion party next week.
Here are today’s noteworthy fixtures and the potential scenarios and outcomes their results could help create:
Huddersfield vs Fulham (3pm)
Nottingham Forest vs Reading (3pm)
- If Huddersfield and Reading both LOSE today Newcastle will be officially promoted to the Premier League with a win over Preston on Monday
- If Huddersfield draw today, Newcastle won’t be officially promoted with a win on Monday, but promotion would be all but confirmed. It would see us go 9 points clear of Huddersfield, who would then only have 9 points to play for in their remaining 3 games. They could move level on points with us in theory (if we lost our remaining 2 and they won their remaining 3), but with our goal difference currently 32 goals better off, they still wouldn’t overtake us in the league.
- If Reading draw today, Newcastle would move 8 points clear of them with a win on Monday. Reading would then be unable to catch us given they’d have just 6 points to play for in their remaining 2 games.
- If Reading WIN today but Newcastle also win on Monday, Reading will remain 6 points behind us. With just 2 games to go and just 6 points up for grabs this would all but end their hopes of catching us given our formidable goal difference (currently +35 better than Reading’s).
- If Huddersfield WIN today then there’s no way Newcastle can officially or unofficially celebrate promotion on Monday. It’d move the Terriers 4 point behind us, with both sides having 3 games to play.
To put the threat of Reading into context, they won’t catch us as long as we win 1 more game in our final 3 that remain.
Huddersfield are the big threat due to their game in hand. Fulham will, however, pose a real tough test. with Newcastle knowing their capabilities all too well having been recently dismantled by them in their 3-1 victory at St. James’.
All being well, 5th place Fulham can deny Huddersfield of victory today, leaving Monday night as a huge opportunity for Newcastle to effectively seal promotion back to the Premier League.
While positive results elsewhere would be nice, let’s just hope United get the job done themselves and don’t have to rely on others. Our fate is firmly within our own hands – even if Reading and Huddersfield win today.
(Fancy having your say? Send any articles/ideas over to us at NUFCblogsubmissions@gmail.com & we’ll get back to you!)