Newcastle look all set to confirm the signing of Florian Lejeune this week, however Newcastle look all set to miss out on THREE reported transfer targets today, with Nicolas Pepe, Tammy Abraham and Eliaquim Mangala all set to move elsewhere.
Starting with Pepe, Newcastle were believed to have held ‘genuine’ interest in the winger after scouting him in France last season, however the 22-year-old Ivory Coast International has officially joined Lille for £9m today. He was said to be keen on remaining in France.
— SofaScore Football⚽ (@SofascoreUser) June 21, 2017
Next comes Tammy Abraham, who has snubbed a move to Newcastle in favour of a loan move to Swansea next season. This was claimed by the Mirror late last night and has today been confirmed by local press, with Abraham’s relationship with Paul Clement and his reluctance to move to the North-East said to have been deciding factors.
Swansea City have agreed to sign striker Tammy Abraham on loan from Chelsea for the 2017-18 season. (Source: BBC Sport) pic.twitter.com/CZa8b7Uoqk
— Transfer News Live (@DeadlineDayLive) June 21, 2017
And finally, whilst this is not a ‘blow’ given the arrival of Florian Lejeune is thought to be imminent, Newcastle won’t be signing previously linked centre-back Eliaquim Mangala.
The Manchester City defender was under consideration from Rafa Benitez this summer, however is all set for an £18m move to Lyon.
Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala is close to joining Lyon for a fee worth in the region of £18m. pic.twitter.com/EFiUDpKz6P
— Transfer Centre Live (@TransferCentreL) June 20, 2017