According to reports from Own Goal Nigeria, Newcastle United’s overconfidence in the race to sign Olarenwaju Kayode saw them miss out on the prolific striker.
As evidenced by the clash against Tottenham Hotspur at St. James’ Park on Sunday, Newcastle United are clearly missing a bit of firepower up front and manager Rafael Benitez has moved on to rectify the issue by acquiring the services of Joselu from Stoke City recently.
However, the jury remains out on the capabilities of Joselu as he does not have the best of goalscoring records and only time will tell as to whether the Spaniard will be able to succeed in the Premier League.
Newcastle did stand a good chance of signing a more prolific striker earlier on in the summer as they were chasing Nigerian international Olarenwaju Kayode and it looked like the Magpies would be able to secure the services of the 24-year-old at the time.
However, Kayode decided to make a move to Manchester City instead and Own Goal Nigeria have now gone on to reveal as to why the Magpies missed out on the services of the striker who scored an impressive 17 league goals in 33 appearances for Austria Wien last season.
A source allegedly told Own Goal Nigeria regarding Kayode’s snub, “The conversation didn’t last beyond 30 minutes, Guardiola told him how he will integrate him into his team in the nearest future, and assured him he will get his chance with the team soon.
“Guardiola made it known to him that he fits into his style of play, and the move to Spain where he will join Girona on loan is so because he isn’t eligible for a work permit yet.
“I will say Newcastle United were too confident of their chances of landing him (Kayode), and manager Rafa Benitez didn’t sound convincing as much as Guardiola when he spoke with Kayode.”