It’s deadline day and despite today having often been like any other day for us Newcastle fans over the years, we could yet see a late surge today. The club is believed to be pushing in both directions, with sales and incomings having the potential to cause a real domino effect today.
- Dwight Gayle could be offloaded for the right price, but he will only be allowed to leave if a replacement is lined up (Sky Sports).
- Arsenal’s Lucas Pérez is understood to be the most likely option to potentially replace Gayle, with Liverpool’s Danny Ings and Chelsea’s Loïc Rémy other options (Sky Sports).
- Newcastle have made a last ditch attempt to sign Perez according to Luke Edwards, but it is still believed that he prefers a move back to Spain with former club Deportivo (Telegraph).
- Chelsea look unlikely to let Newcastle target Kenedy leave on loan – Antonio Conte thinks he might be needed after a move for Oxlaide Chamberlain broke down. A deal may be resurrected if they sign a replacement (Graeme Bailey).
- Jack Colback has been told that he’ll be training with the Academy if he doesn’t leave the club today. He’s wants to stay in the North East and has been offered to Sunderland and Boro (The Times).
- Newcastle have made an enquiry to take Southampton left-back Matt Targett – deal ‘unlikely’ after hefty loan fee was quoted to NUFC (The Times).
- Achraf Lazaar’s move to Serie A side Benevento could be off off as Rafa Benitez may decide he wants to keep the leftback (David Amoyal).
Lots of talk, but little action of note as of yet. Here’s hoping for some more twists and turns that enable us to get one or two much needed additions.