A round up of all of today’s NUFC related news and gossip:
- Rafa Benitez plans to reward his best performers with new deals in the coming weeks – and Jamaal Lascelles looks set to be the first, with reports that the club captain is ‘very close’ to signing a new improved contract (The Chronicle).
- NUFC outcast Henri Saivet has spoken out for the first time since returning from a loan spell in France, stating his desire to play for Newcastle United and take the chance he feels he will get under Rafa Benitez if he keeps working hard.
- Gallowgate Flags have revealed they plan to do their biggest display yet for the game with Liverpool on Sunday – but they NEED your help to make it happen! CLICK HERE to see how you can get involved.
- The England squad has been announced for our latest World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia and Lithuania next week, however Newcastle centre-back Jamaal Lascelles has NOT been included in Gareth Southgate’s 26-man squad – despite the NUFC skipper being watched by national team scouts in recent weeks.
- Rafa Benitez has offered a reassuring update on Mikel Merino’s potential permanent move to Newcastle, revealing that his permanent transfer from Borussia Dortmund will be “easily” tied up at the end of the season – as long as he keeps on performing during his loan spell at the club.
- An unwelcome boost has been handed to Liverpool ahead of this weekend’s game, with Jurgen Klopp set to have Sadio Mane back from a 3-match ban, whilst Brazilian star Phillipe Coutinho looks set to start after missing their opening 4 games of the season.
- And finally, a article well worth a look if you have 10 minutes free – “Ashley and Rafa: Too much talk, not enough action” – a look at what Ashley’s proposed ‘meeting’ with Rafa may mean for himself, NUFC and the boss Benitez.