A round up of all of today’s NUFC related news and gossip:
- Some potentially exciting news has emerged this week, with ‘Leazes Flags’ starting a campaign to replicate the brilliant work of Gallowgate Flags, hoping to further improve the atmosphere around the whole of St James’ Park on matchdays by putting on flag displays in the Leazes End.
- BBC pundit Garth Crooks has done NUFC’s performance at the weekend a real injustice, claiming that “The Reds should have smashed Newcastle out of sight’ in his post-match thoughts on Sunday’s game.
- Mikel Merino has been an instant hit on Tyneside and the latest Spaniard’s latest stat shows just why, with it being revealed that no Premier League player has won back possession in the midfield third more than the 21-year old so far this season.
- Former Liverpool midfielder Momo Sissoko (Momo not Moussa!) has came out with some rather disrespectful comments about Newcastle United, claiming Rafa Benitez should be managing a better club and could use us as a stepping stone if he has success on Tyneside.
- Spanish outlet Marca has revealed today that it was wages that played a big role in Mikel Merino’s move to Newcastle this summer, claiming he could well have joined Athletic Bilbao in the Basque country if it wasn’t for their stringent wage policy.
- Finally, another piece well worth reading if you have a few moments free tonight – “The fascinating stat that shows just how well we’ve defended this season” – this intriguing revelation sums up just how good we’ve been defensively this season. A must read.