Some exciting news for everyone attending Saturday’s crucial game against Leicester, with the club confirming it’s exciting plans to celebrate the 125th year anniversary at St. James’ Park and around the city – including mass flags displays expected at both ends of the ground, LED projections and a flag under each fans seat to create a 52,000 strong sea of black and white before kick off.
The 9th December (Saturday) marks the exact 125th birthday of our beloved club, and it promises to be a real spectacle prior to kick off against Leicester on Saturday night.
Here’s a summary of what to expect in and around the ground on Saturday following the club’s announcement today:
- Big flags displays will take place in the Gallowgate AND the Leazes End – with it set to be the first time Wor Flags and Leazes Flags have done displays at both ends of the ground.
- Every supporter will have a free commemorative flag on their seat, helping to create a sea of black and white around the ground before kick off.
- The club will unveil it’s ‘Greatest XI’, with results coming after thousands of votes have been made following The Chronicle’s recent campaign.
- Some players in the all time XI will be present at the ground, with several ex-NUFC stars invited to the game for the club’s 125th birthday.
- Two large LED screens will feature clips celebrating the club’s past, present and future around the Strawberry Place.
- NUFC’s crest and black and white colours will be projected onto the Millennium Bridge, The Baltic and the Central Station.
- Crowd-facing LED displays will be seen around the edge of the pitch, featuring special anniversary content throughout the afternoon.
For an in-depth look at what you can expect to see in and around St. James’ Park on Saturday, here’s the full plan as revealed on NUFC’s official website:
On arrival in the city on Saturday, visitors will immediately see the club’s crest and iconic colours projected onto prominent sites at the Millennium Bridge, Baltic and Central Station.
At 12pm, the club will unveil its Greatest XI in association with ChronicleLive.
Voted for by thousands of supporters, the line-up will be confirmed across the club’s social media channels and via @ChronicleNUFC and it promises to be packed with legendary names from the club’s long and illustrious history.
Some of those players will also be at the stadium for the match, with a number of ex-professionals from across the ages being welcomed back to St. James’ Park.
Please note there will be a change to the usual road closures around the stadium for this fixture.
Road closures will commence at 3pm on Leazes Terrace, the area around the East Stand and Strawberry Place. They will be in place until approximately 45 minutes after the final whistle.
From 3pm, supporters arriving at the ground will be greeted at Strawberry Place by two large LED screens, both featuring content which celebrates the club’s past, present and future.
Inside the ground
Inside the ground, every supporter will receive a free commemorative flag on their seat, with blocks of black and white stripes visible right around the stadium.
A sea of black and white will be accentuated by stunning fan-led flag displays at both ends of St. James’ Park, with Wor Flags at the Gallowgate End bolstered by an inaugural Leazes Flags display.
Supporters will also notice brand new crowd-facing LED displays around the pitch perimeter, which will feature special anniversary content throughout the afternoon.
Meanwhile, hospitality guests will see some special decorative touches to mark the occasion, with a number of new displays celebrating great figures and events from 125 years of the Magpies.
It should be a brilliant spectacle – let’s just hope we can do it justice with a big performance and a much needed three points!