A round up of all of today’s news and gossip:
- The Times’ George Caulkin has provided an in-depth insight into Rafa Benitez’s situation at Newcastle as we hit the 10-day mark of the January transfer window. A very good read – full story here.
- The Chronicle have confirmed today that Rafa Benitez is still pursuing deals for Liverpool strikers Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings – however moves for one is proving particularly difficult – Full story here.
- Sky Sports’ Pete Graves has responded to questions about the NUFC takeover, revealing that Mike Ashley has returned from holiday TODAY – also confirming that talks with PCP have NOT broken down despite claims of a deal stalling. Full story here.
- Some interesting claims coming from the Stoke Senitel today, who suggest that a manager-less Stoke City are ‘monitoring the situation’ of Rafa Benitez has they look for Mark Hughes’ successor. Ambitious! Full story here.
- After being handed a ‘period of leave’ by the club yesterday following allegations of racism and bullying towards U-23 players, Peter Beardsley has ‘categorically denied’ the claims in a strong statement of his own. See full statement here.
- Some surprising news on the goalkeeper front, with the Guardian’s Ed Aarons confirming that Karl Darlow is in talks with the club over a new five and-a-half year deal – just months after coming close to a £5m move to Middlesbrough. Full story here.
- A transfer story out the blue, as TalkSPORT presenter Geoff Peters has confirmed that Newcastle and Crystal Palace have ‘held discussions’ over a loan deal for Senegalese left-back Pape Souare – with him claiming that ‘all parties are keen’ to get it done. Read full story here.
- Following strong claims yesterday that West Ham are looking to pull off a £12m deal for Jonjo Shelvey, we’ve got the reactions to the ‘news’ from both sets of supporters – and they’re VERY interesting. Read them here.