An exclusive in the Express has claimed that Amanda Staveley will table a bid ‘in excess’ of £300m (how many times have we heard this?), however they understand that Mike Ashley will wait until next month’s announcement on the Premier League’s new TV deal before making a decision.
Not only could we be set to continue our excruciating wait to see the back of Mike Ashley, the story claims that no matter what the outcome of Staveley’s bid is, there will be NO windfall of cash for Benitez to spend on new players this month.
Here’s a snippet from the article in the Express:
“Following further talks between the two parties, Staveley is tabling a new offer in excess of £300m.
“There has been no response from Ashley’s camp and it is understood he is waiting until next month’s announcement on the Premier League’s new TV deal before making a decision.
“Whatever the outcome of this latest bid, there will be no cash windfall for manager Rafa Benitez to spend in this month’s transfer window.
“Benitez has yet to be told the size of his kitty though Toon insiders insist there is some money available.”
— Black&WhiteBarmy (@BlackWhiteBarmy) January 16, 2018
One thing that is very much worth mentioning is that this story has been shared as an exclusive in the Daily Star AND the Express – two papers owned by Richard Desmond.
Wondering who that is? Remember the bloke spotted giving a thumbs up outside that curry house when Ashley and Staveley were pictured meeting in London at the back end of last year? That’s him.
It was said at the time that he set up her meeting with Ashley. Could this be a move from him to highlight that the ball really is in Mike Ashley’s court now? Perhaps.