The Chronicle have revealed that the club are now preparing a new offer for Nicolai Jorgensen after confirmation that Feyenoord rejected our initial offer of £14m last week.
They claim that the reigning Eredivisie champions have told NUFC to up their offer if we wish to be successful in our pursuit of the Danish international striker who struck 25 goals last season – with them said to be holding out for a in excess of £20m according to Sky Sports.
What improved offer we now return with remains to be seen, however their story state that Benitez and Charnley have now been given the green light by Ashley to sign a striker in a bit to boost our survival hopes.
After keeping the story quiet for a few days, Lee Ryder also revealed how the story was leaked after NUFC’s attempts to keep it under wraps until a deal was complete:
“United tried hard to keep the name of Jorgensen under wraps this week, but there was a leak at the Feyenoord end and it was reported by the Dutch media on Tuesday night.
“The Jorgensen deal has been firmed up by sources at St James’ Park with Ashley telling his board to move on from takeover talk and ensure the club prepare for their survival bid in the last 14 games of the Premier League season.”
Interestingly, the Chronicle have also confirmed that Jorgensen isn’t the only striker on Benitez’s wish-list, stating that enquiries have also been made for Islam Slimani – however they understand that Leicester want ‘at least £20million’ for him this month.
We await a potential improved offer, however it would not surprise us if we came in with another bid well short of their valuation!