Speaking to the press ahead of tomorrow’s visit of West Brom, Rafa Benitez has confirmed that he and his representatives have held talks with the club over his future at Newcastle – admitting that it will be ‘good for everybody’ if things are resolved quickly.
With him about the enter the final year of his contract on Tyneside, it’s positive to hear that talks ARE now underway regarding his future at the club and our plans for the summer ahead.
He’s suggested several times over the past few weeks that the club must show they are able to match his ambition if he is to commit to a new long-term contract with the club, and, based on his comments today, it sounds like talks have been fairly productive so far.
Here’s what he’s had to say:
“I have had conversations with Newcastle & we will talk again next week. My representatives are talking with Lee Charnley & they will again. It is about my future & everything else too.
“I want to tell you now because a lot of people want to know. We will see how it goes on. Resolving it quickly is good for everybody.”
When asked what the talks were about, Benitez said ‘about everything’ – so talks will have been extensive, discussing his future, his summer transfer budget, the plan for the club moving forward and so on.
With more meetings planned next week and nothing resolved as yet, there’s still a way to go yet before Benitez commits himself to the club, but it’s got to be seen as positive news that talks are now underway.
This gives me hope. Let’s hope meetings continue to go well.
Good to hear the club have started talking to Rafa – and more are planned next week.
As I said earlier this week, takeover talk a distraction ATM. Rafa's future the only issue in town.
— Mark Douglas (@MsiDouglas) April 27, 2018