The ‘Opposition Opinion’ is back ahead of our trip to Vicarage Road and this week we’ve been getting some thoughts from a Hornets fan
As ever, we are looking to bring you a view from the other side before this week’s game, interviewing an opposing fan to gain their opinions on NUFC, some insights into their own side and their thoughts on of our upcoming match.
This week we’ve been speaking to Watford fan Josh (@WatfordAddict), with him having the following to say ahead of our clash this weekend:
1) What sort of shape do you feel you’re in coming into Saturday’s game? Reckon you’ll be up for it or are your lot already on the beach?
“I feel like we should be up for this one as we showed a lot of fight against Spurs and played quite well, we just weren’t clinical. We aren’t technically safe either which is a bit of an incentive – although I believe we won’t go down.
“We have players who have just come back from injury or are coming back (Deulofeu / Perreya / Deeney) which will hopefully give us a boost as players are playing for their future and to show why they should be in the team.”
2) What do you make of Newcastle this season? Which players do you see as the strengths and weaknesses in this NUFC side?
“I personally feel Rafa has had a wonder-season with Newcastle, as you didn’t strengthen massively in the summer and near enough have the same group of players who brought you up.
“Kenedy was a great signing who was at Watford last season, but we didn’t give him a chance.
“I feel Ayoze Perez has stepped up for Newcastle this season and performed pretty well.
“Shelvey and Diame are both physical and can pick out a pass. I see them being involved in a key battle on Saturday against Doucore and Capoue.
“Perez and, I assume, Gayle will potentially test our defence as we are very shaky and ship goals for fun. Kenedy I believe will also cause problems for our full back.”
3) Likewise, who are the players to watch out for in your Watford side? Anyone in-form players for us to watch out for and anyone you’d be looking to ‘get at’ if you were Rafa Benitez?
“For us it all depends on our starting line up as we do chop and change regularly.
“Hughes has been are stand out player as of late. Very tricky, can play a killer ball and works extremely hard. All Watford fans are screaming for him to be called up to England for the World Cup due to midfield injuries.
“Deulofeu will be fit and could be a real handful for Yedlin or Dummet. That will be a good contest.
“It will be interesting to see who we start up front as I can’t see Javi starting one up top. I would prefer to see Gray. Although I don’t rate him, he does offer more than Deeney as a lone striker.”
4) How do you see the match panning out? Score prediction?
“I see us dominating possession, but on the counter you will hurt us.
“I see it being a tight game settled by the odd goal. I feel this could be a 2-1”
5) Andre Gray – He looked like one Rafa was keen to sign next summer but we were never going to pay the £18m you did. I see he’s scored just 4 times. What have you made of him?
“Andre Gray is the most frustrating player ever. Watford fans want him to do well but he always disappoints.
“He is very quick and will run his socks off, but he has no cutting edge. I feel he does lack confidence as Watford fans initially did jump on his back. We do play better with him in the team, but he doesn’t score.
“His first touch is appalling but this could also be a confidence problem again. Overall I feel he is a Championship player.”
6) Daryl Janmaat – Jumped ship after our relegation two years ago thinking the grass would be greener, but it doesn’t seem like he’s making much of an impact at Watford these days? Your thoughts on him..
“Daryl Janmaat is a frustrating player. He can score a worldie, but defensively can be caught napping.
“For Watford he has scored some brilliant goals – for example against Chelsea this season he ran the pitch Messi-esque!
“This season he hasn’t started much and has made cameo roles due the signing of Kiko Femenia.
“Overall he is a squad player and not very reliable. It wouldn’t bother me if he was moved on in the summer.”
7) If you were asked to create the best possible XI from our two squads, what would your starting 11 be? (Be honest!)
“Dúbravka – Femenia, Lascelles, Lejuene, Yedlin – Kenedy, Shelvey, Doucoure, Deulofeu – Hughes – Slimani.
“I know Yedlin is a right back, but I feel we’re both weak at left-back. Chalobah has missed a lot of the season so I haven’t included him.”
Thanks, as ever, to Josh for taking some time this week to speak with us, with him giving us a good little insight into the Watford side Benitez and the boys will be taking on this weekend.
We’ll be back next week with the thoughts of a Spurs fan ahead of our trip to Wembley next week.