According to Wales Online, Swansea have now rejected a bid from Newcastle United for centre-back Federico Fernandez – with our offer said to have fallen ‘well below’ their valuation of the player.
They claim that Benitez and NUFC ‘remain keen’ on doing a deal before today’s 5pm deadline, but it looks like we’ll have to up our offer considerably if we want to get this one done.
It was insisted yesterday that they are demanding £10m for the Argentine international defender, however, in typical Newcastle United fashion, it sounds like our offer has come in well below their asking price.
£10m seems a little steep for a player turning 30 next year – not forgetting he is currently a ‘Championship player’ – although I don’t blame them for setting this price tag given they’d be reluctant to lose their first-team centre-back so late in the day.
Here’s what Wales Online’s Andrew Gwilym has had to say on our offer in the last few moments:
‘Swansea City have rejected a bid from Newcastle United for defender Federico Fernandez.
‘Fernandez, 29, has been the subject of interest from the Magpies and his old boss Rafa Benitez for a number of weeks, with Swansea rejecting a loan offer from the Tyneside club.
‘Newcastle had been said to be preparing a bid for a permanent deal, but it has been flatly rejected as it was understood to fall well below Swansea’s valuation of the player.
‘Swans boss Graham Potter has regularly praised Fernandez’s attitude and application during pre-season and the Argentinian played the full 90 minutes in the season-opening win over Sheffield United.
‘However, it is understood Benitez and Newcastle remain keen on trying to get a deal over the line before the 5pm deadline.’
Understand #nufc have had a bid turned down for Swansea defender Federico Fernandez.
Sources in South Wales say it's "miles below" £10m valuation.
They say talks not totally dead yet as Swans are looking to wages off the books…
— Mark Douglas (@MsiDouglas) August 9, 2018
With Lejeune probably out for the season and a deal for Barcelona’s Marlon Santos hanging in the balance (with a work permit yet to be granted), time really is running out for some much needed defensive reinforcements.
5 hours to go..
(Fancy writing for us? Send any articles/ideas over to us at NUFCblogsubmissions@gmail.com & we’ll get back to you!)