Luke Edwards and Mark Douglas – two trusted north-east reporters – have provided a promising update on a potential takeover this weekend, stating that ‘confidence is growing’ behind the scenes that a deal is going to happen.
As widespread reports revealed earlier in the week, Peter Kenyon is said to be the ‘front-runner’ after Mike Ashley confirmed that talks were at a more advanced stage than they’ve ever been when speaking to Sky on Monday.
After a few days of silence on the matter (which is most probably a good thing), here’s what’s been said over the weekend:
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) December 8, 2018
Here’s a snippet from Luke Edwards’ latest piece for the Telegraph – with him providing a positive update on the takeover front:
The Sunday Telegraph understands that confidence is growing behind the scenes that a takeover will go through in the coming weeks, despite cynicism on Tyneside regarding Ashley’s willingness to end his 11-year reign.
Takeover talks involving Ashley and at least two potential buyers will continue this week and Benitez believes Newcastle could be the last Premier League club worth buying for anyone who wishes to challenge for silverware in England.
Should new owners take control, one of their first priorities will be to persuade Benitez to remain as manager, and the Spaniard will hope he will also be given more freedom to spend in the transfer market if the takeover goes through before the January transfer window opens.
To me this emphasises just what a massive game today is. It seems a deal is progressing, but a win today (taking us further from the drop zone) will only help matters – with any new owner being reluctant to pay £300m plus if we were beaten and looked a real relegation risk once again.
The Chronicle’s Mark Douglas has also had his say on the current state of play, stating that it’s his understanding that there’s ‘confidence’ that progress is being made on the deal (even if claims that Kenyon has been in touch with the Premier League to alert them of a potential deal):
On takeover, my understanding is while there's confidence progress is being made no consortia (not Kenyon or anyone else) have been in touch with @premierleague yet to alert them to need to go through tests/checks (which would be the end game stage).
— Mark Douglas (@MsiDouglas) December 9, 2018
There’s been several accounts claiming to be ‘in the know’ ever since news of a potential takeover has emerged, so it’s good to see some credible sources providing us with genuine updates on the deal this weekend.
It’ll take time, but all the noises being made by reliable north-east reporters have been positive so far.
— NUFC 360 (@NUFC360) December 8, 2018