Every day that Mike Ashley says nothing makes me more confident that a takeover will be done.
If it happens, Rafa (if he stays!) will have limited time to strip an rebuild the squad for the new season, but if it doesn’t, it has been reported by the Chronicle that Benitez will be given £60m (£61m to be precise..) PLUS players sales this summer.
With that in mind, this is what I would like to see happen over the coming months:
- Rolando Aarons – I think he has found his level in the Championship – £1m
- Jack Colback – Forrest want him and we don’t – £1m
- Achraf Lazaar – No future at Newcastle. – £1m
- Henri Saivet – I don’t even remember what he looks like – £1m
- Rob Elliot – Allow him to leave on a free. He’s been a good servant to the club and should be allowed the opportunity to play first team football before calling it a day.
- Karl Darlow – Freddie Woodman wants first team football and if we let him leave it will at least let the 21-year-old know we want him to stay and fight for the number 1 shirt – £3m
- DeAndrre Yedlin – Weirdly, Manquillo looks like the one to keep out of the two of them. Yedlin is too error prone to rely on if we are pushing for a top 10 spot next season – £5m
- Ciaran Clark – I like Clark but he seems like 6th choice CB at the moment in a squad that only needs 5 – £5m
- Joselu – There is interest in Spain and if the goals over there are twice the size of those in the Premier League he might score a couple £2mil
- Christian Atsu – Never been more than a squad player in the Premier League and will never really push Almiron for a starting place – £5m
- Dwight Gayle – Apparently we value him at £20mil!? He is a Championship player and Championship sides rarely spend £20mil on one player. £12m seems fair to me.
- Yoshinori Muto – Sounds harsh, but not really sure why we bought him. Will never really challenge Perez for a start and the quality of our bench needs to improve – £6m
- Isaac Hayden – Bless the lad he’s not had an easy time of it and never let that show on the pitch. Good luck to him and his family – £15mil
TOTAL – £57m
- Stanley N’Soki – Looks like a talent but that PSG side is hard to break into. We need new options at left-back and the chance to play in the Premier League could be enough to convince him – £10m
- Denzel Dumfries – Another young full back (right) who may fancy a pop at the Premier League. 32 games for PSV last season with 4 goals and now 5 international caps. Also worth mentioning that it’s been reported that Rafa wants a tall full-back; and he’s 6ft 2′ and looks made for English football. – £12m.
- Juan Mata – 6 months ago I would have laughed at this. However, if we can convince him we are a club on the up (and Sheikh Khaled arrives and provides a competitive wage budget) then why not? – Free
- Kevin Strootman – He claims that Marseille are trying to force him out. He’s 29 (so may rely on Mike Ashley selling up), but he knows how to boss a midfield and would be a great player for Longstaff to use as a mentor. – £15m
- Danny Welbeck – A solid option in attack and can play anywhere across the front 3. Injuries are his problem but at 28 years-old on free he is worth a punt for me. – Free
- Harry Wilson – Impressed for Derby this past season and looks ready for the big time but that doesn’t look likely at Liverpool. They have quoted a figure of £25mil for him, which may be a bit much, but homegrown players command a premium – £25m
- Wesley Moraes – Had a great season in Belgium scoring (17 goals) and creating (10 assists) freely. Mitrovic has shown us what impressive performances in Belgium look like in the Premier League so I would see Moraes as a very able understudy but not first choice central striker. – £16m
- Joelinton – The Hoffenheim star looks every bit a Newcastle number 9. Big and strong, good in the air and doesn’t mind playing with his back to goal. I see him getting 15-20 goals per season at the Toon with the right players around him. He is the first name through the door for me and would no doubt be the best striker we have had since his royal highness lord Shearer. – £30m
TOTAL – £108m
NET spend – £41m
That doesn’t sound too unrealistic now does it?
Although Mike Ashley would no doubt be wondering how many department stores he could buy with that!