A round-up of today’s NUFC news and gossip:
- Miguel Almiron shone in Paraguay’s Copa America opener last night, but his dazzling display was not enough as they threw away a 2-0 lead, leaving him in teats – Full story here.
- According to La Provence, former Zenit boss Andre Villas-Boas is ‘extremely interested’ in bringing Salomon Rondonto Marseille – and wants a deal done ‘quickly’ – Full story here.
- Sky’s Pete Graves claims Rafa Benitez was ‘very close’ to reaching an agreement at NUFC before takeover talk re-emerged, also hinting that the BZG would keep him if they bought the club – Full story here.
- According to TEAMtalk, Newcastle have been in touch with Southampton to enquire about a potential move for Matt Targett – Full story here.
- No player has completed more key passes than Newcastle United star Miguel Almiron so far at this summer’s Copa America – a stat that Messi and Coutinho have failed to match – Full story here
- According to Dutch reporter Marcel van der Kraan, Newcastle have sent scouts to watch Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek a ‘number of times’ – Full story here.
- Newcastle are one of several clubs keen to sign Lorient star Alexis Claude-Maurice according to Sky Sports – Full story here.
- And finally, a look at the deals several of NUFC’s mid-table ‘rivals’ have done so far, with Wolves, Southampton, Villa, West Ham & Bournemouth spending £150m combined – Full story here.