NUFC to make one last attempt to keep Rafa Benitez – Talks expected in next 48 hours – The Telegraph

According to the Telegraph, Newcastle will make one last attempt to convince Rafa Benitez to sign a new contract after fears emerge that he’s now all set to walk away.

The piece states that Rafa has been offered around £60m to spend this summer PLUS money from player sales, but that the current one-year deal offered to his way is said to includes several terms he’s ‘unhappy’ with.

Luke Edwards claims that Newcastle are yet to even consider a potential replacement, although he admits that this stance will change over the next ’48 hours’ if they fail to convince Rafa to change his mind during one final round of talks.

Here’s the Telegraph‘s latest piece, with Edwards reporting that club chiefs will make one final bid to keep him over the coming week:

‘Newcastle United will make one final attempt to convince Rafael Benitez to sign a new contract this week as it appears increasingly likely he will quit the club.



‘Benitez’s contract will expire on June 30 and he is expected to announce he is leaving St James’ Park after three-and-a-half years as he is unhappy with the personal terms offered and the size of the transfer budget available to him.

‘Benitez has been told he will have around £60 million in this summer’s window and can also raise money from player sales. But, although exceptions could be made, he was also warned that the club could not sanction long-term deals for players over the age of 28, particularly as he was only considering a one-year extension himself.

‘Newcastle believe there is still a chance he will stay and plan to hold further talks this week in an attempt to get him to change his mind. That, though, looks unlikely given the lack of progress so far this summer.

‘The club’s hierarchy have repeatedly stressed to the Spaniard that they want him to stay and have offered a variety of contracts to him over the last 18 months, but the 59-year-old has refused to sign any of them.

‘Telegraph Sport understands there has been no thought given as to who will replace Benitez if he does leave, even though he has received several lucrative offers from China. That will change in the next 48 hours if there is no sign of an agreement being reached.

‘That has hardened Benitez’s desire to depart as soon as his contract has finished, but he has still not told anyone at Newcastle that he wants to quit, which leaves the door open to a further round of negotiations this week.

‘Newcastle have been stuck in limbo while they have waited for their manager to make a decision and have no new signings lined up. Benitez’s departure would leave them in a desperate scramble to find a replacement, even though there will be plenty of interests from managers in and out of work.

If the club stand their ground and simply try to persuade Rafa to agree to the initial contract offered without improving the terms, it may be a short meeting and toke gesture of an ‘attempt’ to keep him.

I would love to believe that the club will finally agree to compromise at the 11th hour and given in to his demands in fear of losing such a world class manager who’s done wonders for this club, but I fear there’ll be little leeway offered.

Prove me wrong, Mike!

(Fancy writing for us? Send any articles/ideas over to us at NUFCblogsubmissions@gmail.com & we’ll get back to you!)

About Olly Hawkins

Olly has been a Junior Magpie from birth. As a season ticket holder and avid Newcastle United fan - he eats, sleeps and breathes all things NUFC.

5 thoughts on “NUFC to make one last attempt to keep Rafa Benitez – Talks expected in next 48 hours – The Telegraph

  1. Rafa will not stay if Ashley is the owner in my opinion. Just doesn’t trust him. Who can blame him? Would any other good manager be prepared to take over knowing that Rafa couldn’t accept the rules Ashley wants to enforce? We will end up with a yes man like Dennis Wise.

      (Quote)

  2. I think £60m plus player sales would be just fine for Rafa.
    I think he’d prefer to sign players of any age, but could probably live with that restriction. I mean, Rafa constantly talks about building for the future. He’s not going to want to sign loads of players in the latter stages of their career – but he should be allow to get the odd one or two if he feels he needs them.

    But that’s just it. Rafa talks about building for the future. How the hell does he do that on a one year contract?!?!?!!! …. and how does he get a one year deal but Pardew got EIGHT????

      (Quote)

  3. Horse poo article. Does rafa know they’re offering him a contract again lol.

    Guess, guess and guess some more for your click bait.

      (Quote)

  4. Sharpy17:
    I think £60m plus player sales would be just fine for Rafa.
    I think he’d prefer to sign players of any age, but could probably live with that restriction.I mean, Rafa constantly talks about building for the future.He’s not going to want to sign loads of players in the latter stages of their career – but he should be allow to get the odd one or two if he feels he needs them.

    But that’s just it.Rafa talks about building for the future.How the hell does he do that on a one year contract?!?!?!!! …. and how does he get a one year deal but Pardew got EIGHT????

    Because pards was a yes man, Rafa has caused to much trouble over budgets

      (Quote)

  5. A one year contract without conditions would be of no loss to Ashley if he is genuinely trying to sell. 12 months of freedom to buy and sell starting now! No brainer!,

      (Quote)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green