This comes from his latest NUFC rant on talkSPORT, telling fans to ‘forget Rafa’ and get behind the players and the manager instead – saying Bruce ‘doesn’t want to hear negativity’ from the stands.
Here’s what he’s had to say in his latest rant:
My issue with this is the way he asks us to happily accept the fact we’ve swapped a world class manager for a Championship one, claiming ‘no club’ would ever give Rafa Benitez control of transfers (suggesting he had no right to stay on those terms).
He claims Rafa’s ‘head was turned’ by ‘Chinese millions’, but I think it’s quite clear that he gave us the entire summer to keep him at the club – yet Mike Ashley failed to compromise and show the ambition required to convince him.
I understand parts of Durham’s rant – I think the ‘Bruce out’ talk was poor given he is not the root of the problem here – but I think he’s pretty out of touch with the key issue here.
Yes we WANT to get behind our club, our manager and our players, but so many have felt completely and utterly dejected by what we’ve had to deal with over the past 12 years – and this summer has been the final straw for many.
Ok, optimism may have remerged for the first time this summer after we signed Joelinton, but in the months that came before that we’ve had:
- No communication – despite there being SEVERAL key issues that were left unresolved or unanswered for 2 months
- We’ve lost Rafa Benitez
- We’ve sold our top scorer (Ayoze Perez)
- We’ve failed to re-sign our player of the season
- We had no Benitez replacement lined up, something that derailed our pre-season plans and set back transfer plans
- We’ve made our first signing of the summer with just two weeks left until the window shuts, creating a huge rush and panic in the 14 days that remain.
I hope Bruce does well. I’ll support the players, but I won’t line Mike Ashley’s pockets just because he’s pulled off a £40m signing that acts as a last minute sticky plaster in an attempt to paper over the deep-rooted cracks he’s created.