After managing one start so far and playing just 147 minutes out of a possible 810 over the past few months, a quiet word from NUFC’s ‘loan manager’ coincided with Elias Sorensen’s first full game for the club on Tuesday night.
It was in Carlisle’s EFL Trophy clash with Wolves’ U-21’s, but the Danish striker played the full 90 – and bagged an assist in the process.
They lost the game 4-2, but Carlisle boss Steven Pressley spoke highly of Sorensen, revealing what Shola Ameobi told him after the game and praising the youngster’s ‘excellent’ response to his lack of game time:
“I was really pleased with the improvements in some of our players.
“I just spoke with Shola Ameobi regarding Elias. He has just called me, and that’s the hardest he’s ever seen him work.
“He worked tirelessly tonight and that’s real improvement in the kid since he’s come in here. I’ve had a couple of good conversations with him.
“I’ve spoken to him about a number of things. For me, his response has been excellent. So that was really encouraging.”
It’s a start – albeit against U-21 opposition and not a senior side – but hopefully it’s a sign of things to come after a woeful lack of game time in their League Two season so far:
- Mansfield (H) – Played 34 mins from the bench.
- Cheltenham (A) – Unused substitute.
- Salford (H) – Played 31 mins from the bench.
- Rochdale (A) – Played 26 mins from the bench (Carabao Cup)
- Scunthorpe (A) – Started. Played 45 mins & subbed off at half time
- Exeter (H) – Came on for 3 mins.
- Stevenage (A) – Unused substitute.
- Forest Green (H) – Unused substitute.
- Bradford City (A) – Played 8 mins from the bench.
It’s good to see him get 90 minutes under his belt, some praise from their manager and an assist to his name, but things must kick on from here if this isn’t to be another failed loan move for the 20-year-old.
After all, he could be playing against U-21 opposition every week if he stayed with our U-23 set up, so let’s hope he can start getting come much needed minutes in Carlisle’s league games each week.