A baffled Steve Bruce responds to new takeover rumours – “Let’s watch this space”

Magpies boss Steve Bruce spoke to the media this morning ahead of Sunday’s trip to Leicester City, but takeover talk was one of the key topics discussed after last night’s ‘breaking news’.

This comes after Thursday night claims that Peter Kenyon had submitted a new ‘£300m offer’ to buy the club after teaming up with US investors GACP Sports.

That said, it seems Bruce is non the wiser, saying it was “news to me” when the fresh round of rumours circulated this morning:

“It’s happened that many times, even from reading about it from afar.

You’re asking the wrong person.”

“You have to get used to it.

“It’s happened to me three or four times previously. It’s something you get used to.

At this club, in particular, there’s always speculation surrounding it and it’s never happened.

Let’s watch this space.”

Previous managers have often been kept in the dark when it comes to takeover talk – just ask Rafa – so it would be harsh to criticise Bruce’s words so soon after the ‘news’ broke late last night. After all, these fresh rumours could be yet more paper talk. We have been here many a time before.

The boss also stated he ‘didn’t really go into’ the ownership situation when discussing the job opportunity this summer:

“I can’t influence anything like that (when he met with Mike Ashley in July).

The only thing I can influence is how we play on Sunday.

That’s the only thing I can really focus on.” 

Considering the rumoured BZG takeover was a hot topic across the national press, you would think any manager going for the Newcastle job at the time would want certainties on his future?

It is comments like these which add to the narrative that Bruce is more in the mould of a Pardew / McClaren and a ‘yes man’ type figure at the club, rather than a more stubborn and political Rafa Benitez.

It is true that Bruce had dealt with a similar situation before, however, with his future being cast into doubt when foreign investors bought a 55% stake in Aston Villa from Tony Xia just last year.

At this early stage, however, the takeover rumours are nothing but gossip.

Until the club come out and confirm a takeover is 100% happening, and we all see Mike Ashley packing his bags, I would be taking these rumours with nothing more than a pinch of salt.

I know I’m not holding my breath.

(Fancy writing for us? Get in touch at NUFCblogsubmissions@gmail.com & we’ll get back to you!)

One thought on “A baffled Steve Bruce responds to new takeover rumours – “Let’s watch this space”

  1. This is the Ashley PR machine starting earlier than expected before the January transfer window. There are a number of lines quoted which do not ring true; “we will buy young players to sell on at a profit later in their NUFC career”; “we do not have buckets full of money to spend”; SD will retain its advertising hoardings until the final payment”; “Steve Bruce will remain as manager as he has a wealth of European experience???”.
    Ashley always said that he would only sell to someone who could take the club further and had the funds to do so, but this consortium have less capital as an organisation than Ashley has in personal wealth AND they are offering less than the £350m he wants for the club.

      (Quote)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green