Our Danish U21 international has been on loan at the Cumbria club since August, but has only made a handful of appearances. Most of them have come from the bench and he’s yet to score.
There had been talk in the local press of Newcastle terminating the loan after being disappointed with Sorensen’s lack of game time, but they may wait and see if Pressley’s replacement hands the U-23 star some much needed game time.
Here’s how his League Two campaign has panned out so far, with this highlighting just how little he’s featured this season:
- Mansfield (H) – Played 34 minutes from the bench.
- Cheltenham (A) – Unused substitute.
- Salford (H) – Played 31 minutes from the bench.
- Rochdale (A) – Played 26 minutes from the bench (Carabao Cup)
- Scunthorpe (A) – Started. Played 45 minutes & subbed off at half time
- Exeter (H) – Came on for 3 minutes.
- Stevenage (A) – Unused substitute, all while fellow NUFC U-23 Kelland Watts played the full 90 for Stevenage.
- Forest Green (H) – Unused substitute..despite fact Forest Green were up against 10 men late on and needed a goal at 0-0.
- Bradford (A) – Played 8 minutes from the bench in 3-1 defeat.
- Oldham (H) – Unused substitute.
- Newport (A) – Unused substitute.
- Crewe (H) – Unused substitute.
- Plymouth (A) – Played 32 minutes from the bench.
- Northampton (H) – Unused substitute.
- Leyton Orient (A) – Unused substitute.
- Macclesfield (H) – Unused substitute.
The situation is similar to that of last season when Sorensen spent another unsuccessful loan spell at League One Blackpool.
Now, loan manager Shola Ameobi must decide wether it’s better for Sorensen to warm the bench at Carlisle (unless a new manager comes in and plays him) or come back and play for the U23’s, who themselves are struggling and looking for a new coach after Neil Redfearn’s recent exit.
Carlisle have announced that Pressley’s back room team will remain in charge “for the short term” while they search for a new manager.
Hopefully this turns out to be good news for Elias in one way or another. He may now get a chance. Or may be recalled. Either way, something needed to change for him at Carlisle – and it has.