Newcastle United have recalled Elias Sorensen from his loan spell with League Two side Carlisle.
The move has been a disaster from start to finish for the 20-year-old Dane, with him starting just ONE league game, being an unused substitute on several occasions and even missing out on a number of their match day squads.
As NUFC’s club statement below explains, the striker could even play for our U-23’s tonight after officially returning to Tyneside:
Newcastle United have recalled Elias Sørensen from his loan spell with Carlisle United.
The Danish youngster joined the Cumbrians for the season in August, but has started just one league game, making a further seven appearances from the bench and appearing in four cup games.
Under the terms of the deal, the loan can be cut short in January and, following discussions between Newcastle’s loan manager Shola Ameobi and Carlisle head coach Chris Beech, Sørensen has now returned to St. James’ Park.
The 20-year-old could be involved in Friday evening’s Premier League International Cup game against Blackburn Rovers (kick-off 7pm GMT). Sørensen was Newcastle’s top goalscorer at under-23 level last term, hitting 20 goals.
To get an idea of just how bad his spell in Cumbria was, here’s a look at his game time for the League Two side over the first half of the season:
- Mansfield (H) – Played 34 minutes from the bench.
- Cheltenham (A) – Unused substitute.
- Salford (H) – Played 31 minutes from the bench.
- Rochdale (A) – Played 26 minutes from the bench (Carabao Cup)
- Scunthorpe (A) – Started. Played 45 minutes (subbed off at half time)
- Exeter (H) – Played 3 minutes from the the bench.
- Stevenage (A) – Unused substitute (fellow NUFC U-23 Kelland Watts played the full 90 for Stevenage)
- Forest Green (H) – Unused substitute (despite fact Carlisle were up against 10 men late on and needed a goal at 0-0).
- Bradford (A) – Played 8 minutes from the bench.
- Oldham (H) – Unused substitute.
- Newport (A) – Unused substitute.
- Crewe (H) – Unused substitute.
- Plymouth (A) – Played 32 minutes from the bench.
- Northampton (H) – Unused substitute.
- Leyton Orient (A) – Unused substitute.
- Macclesfield (H) – Unused substitute.
- Dulwich Hamlet (A) – Unused substitute.
- Morecambe (A) – Started (EFL Trophy). Played full 90 minutes.
- Port Vale (A) – Played 3 minutes from the bench.
- Cambridge (H) – Not in the squad.
- Forest Green (A) – Not in squad (FA Cup).
- Morecambe (A) – Played 6 minutes from bench.
- Forest Green (H) – Unused substitute (FA Cup).
- Grimsby Town (H) – Unused substitute.
Hopefully loan manager Shola Ameobi can find him a far more suitable loan move soon, with it feeling like his next step is a crucial one after nightmare spells at Blackpool and Carlisle over the past year.