That’s it! The January transfer window is officially closed for another year.
Without further adieu, here’s a round up of the players we’ve signed, the players we’ve let go and those who’ve ended up staying – as well as a look at where those strongly (or vaguely) linked with moves to St James’ Park have ended up:
- Nabil Bentaleb – Loan deal from Schalke (includes option to buy for £8.5m).
- Valentino Lazaro – Loan deal from Inter Milan (includes option to buy for £20m).
- Danny Rose – Loan deal from Tottenham (No obligation/option to buy reported as of yet).
- Ki Sung-yeung – Contract terminated by mutual consent, allowing him to join a new club as a ‘free agent’ as of tomorrow.
- Rolando Aarons – Complete a last-minute loan move to SPL side Motherwell.
- Kelland Watts – Joined Mansfield Town on loan until the end of the season.
- Nathan Harker – Now on trial with Sunderland.
NUFC players who ended up staying:
- Christian Atsu – Celtic, Nottingham Forest, Fulham and Blackburn were all linked with late loan moves, but he’s remained on Tyneside.
- Dwight Gayle – Forest were linked with a loan bid with a £15m ‘obligation to buy’ if they earned promotion, but nothing came of it.
- Henri Saivet – Was offered to French side Nimes. Wages no doubt scuppered any exit…again.
- Jack Colback – Serious knee injury means there was no takers, Another who’ll train with side until his deal expires this summer.
- Jamie Sterry – Lee Ryder confirmed that he too was being offered out by the club in the final few hours – but no takers.
NUFC ‘targets’ who ended up signing elsewhere:
- Jarrod Bowen – Completed a £20m move to West Ham. Newcastle unwilling to pay Hull’s asking price.
- Olivier Giroud – We made TWO separate loan bids but he turned us down and ended up staying at Chelsea; who refused to let him leave after failing to sign a striker.
- Krzysztof Piatek – Ended up completing a £23m move from AC Milan to Hertha Berlin.
- Ademola Lookman – Heavily linked earlier in the month. A loan deal looked likely at one stage but RB Leipzig refused to let him leave.
- Mbwana Samatta – Joined Aston Villa after they activated his £10m release clause at Genk.
- Paco Alcacer – We were linked with an audacious loan move, but the Spanish striker has ended up signing with Villarreal.
- Boubakary Soumare – Sky Sports confirmed we’d AGREED a £35m deal with Lille, but the player opted against a move to Tyneside.
- Karl Toko-Ekambi – We were credited with an interest in the Cameroonian striker, but he ended up swapping Villarreal for Lyon for £17m.
- Ryan Babel – Linked after a transfer request at Galatasaray, but completed a move to former club Ajax instead.
- Ibrahima Sissoko – Ended up staying at Strasbourg. Alan Nixon claimed we were in talks, but Lee Ryder said we’re yet to make an approach.
- Cenk Tosun – Offered to NUFC from Everton, but Bruce said no and he ended up signing for Palace on loan.
- Davie Selke – BILD claimed we were one of 5 Premier League sides eyeing a late loan move, but the German ended up signing with Werder Bremen today.
- Salomon Rondon – Guillem Balague claimed we were keen to sign him on loan after the CSL was postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak – but Dalian Yifang refused to let him go.
- Vincent Aboubakar – Portuguese reports claimed we made a late bid, but it seemed unlikely and nothing came of it.
- Emmanuel Adebayor – The Sun claimed we were considering a surprise move with him keen to come back to England and available on a free.