According to the Northern Echo, Mike Ashley remains ‘sceptical’ about the latest round of takeover talk, with him advising the club’s board to crack on with summer preparations as he awaits a ‘firm bid’ from the Saudi’s.
The Echo’s chief sports writer Scott Wilson claims Ashley has issued a “business as usual” message, with the club now identifying potential targets for the next transfer window in spite of all the speculation.
They report that Bruce and Charnley have pressed on with summer transfer talks over the winter break, claiming a Newcastle scout was sent to Griffin Park on Saturday to watch Brentford forward Said Benrahma.
This, alongside the contract talks ongoing between current first-team players, is what they believe indicates Ashley and the hierarchy are refusing to get excited over any takeover business unless a concrete offer is made.
My only problem with this story is that there seems to be a lot of speculation without much substance.
The article is also a direct contradiction to one by the same writer – for the same paper – stating a £340million offer had been made.
That aside, surely any company would continue to run with the motto ‘business as usual’ until an actual takeover was happening? It’s a phrase that sounds damning, yet it’s to be expected until any deal is officially done?
It’s best we all tread with caution when it comes to the takeover saga. After all, we must remember what Ashley said back in the summer – the first we hear about a takeover will be the day that it happens once it’s already done and dusted.
While the media continue to speculate, here’s hoping that day arrives sooner rather than later!