According to the Chronicle’s Lee Ryder, Andy Carroll has told those close to him that he’s hoping to return for Newcastle’s trip to Southampton next weekend.
The 31-year-old has managed just 11 minutes of football since the turn of the year, with Steve Bruce revealing how he injured his hamstring recently after ‘attempting a volley in training’.
No official return date has been revealed, however Lee Ryder claims that he’s privately expecting to be back in the squad for our upcoming clash at St Mary’s a week on Saturday.
With this in mind, it seems he’s set to miss this weekend’s crucial game against Burnley at St James’ Park, along with our FA Cup fifth round tie with West Brom next Tuesday, but it seems he’s told friends and family he won’t be out too much longer.
Even if Carroll does return next weekend, it makes our decision not to sign a striker last month all the more laughable.
We knew about Carroll’s injury, we’ve seen how much Joelinton is struggling – with Bruce even admitting that he’s not a ‘natural goalscorer’ – and we also have Gayle and Muto; two players who have zero league goals between them all season and reoccurring fitness problems of their own.
Hopefully Gayle can do the business ahead of what’s set to be just his third start on Saturday, but, either way, Carroll’s return can’t come quick enough given our lack of useful options in attack.