Some interesting news emerged from Sky Sports on Monday night, stating that Mike Ashley has now thrown himself into the takeover saga in a bid to push the Saudi consortium’s £300m deal ‘over the line’.
Sky’s Keith Downie stated that the NUFC owner is ‘personally trying to resolve the situation’ and is ‘100% committed’ to finding a resolution, and The Telegraph’s Tom Morgan now states he’s also considering legal action against the PL after being told there was “no red flags” in April.
After 13 years is Ashley finally going to do something that the Toon faithful want, The PIF want, PCP want and The Rueben Brothers want? Seems it may be so and if it’s true it’s about time he broke his silence and got involved.
This despite continued silence from the Premier League and the fact the would-be owners walked away from the deal 10 days ago, stating the lengthy time it’s taken for a resolution. That said, the statements both Staveley and the Reubens have made since then make it crystal clear there is still very much a deal to be done here.
I’m not sure where in this world when a seller finds a buyer and the buyer meets the seller’s requirements that a deal can’t be done. Everyone it seems wants this deal to be resurrected and to go through…but the Premier League and BeIN Sports.
MPs up and down the land have joined forces and look set to pressure the Premier League, a petition has been signed by well over 100,000 people and over 7,000 letters went out to local members of Parliament last week. Results of The Chronicle’s “Big Survey” were a landslide and the magnificent NUST organisers and supporters have also shown how badly they want it to happen. Everybody wants it apart from one organisation it seems and even then, they haven’t even rejected it. They’ve just sat on their hands and failed to make a decision.
The Premier League have been rightly slaughtered over their silence and refusal to explain why a 4-week process went over 18-weeks without a decision until seemingly The PIF bailed them out. I say seemingly for a reason. That reason is the silence.
The amount of pressure has been phenomenal. The Geordie Nation won’t be silenced or go away quietly. Now it seems Ashley is ready to respond to the Geordie Roar, not that this should come as any huge surprise given he’s the man getting £300m quid from this!
After years of moving the goal posts or calling prospective buyers time wasters, wouldn’t it be odd if Mike Ashley himself played a key role in forcing through this long awaited takeover we’ve all been waiting for.