Just last week, a Daily Mail exclusive said Newcastle United’s plans to ‘spend big’ on Odsonne Edouard had been shelved after Celtic insisted he was strictly NOT for sale.
That stance appears to have changed following Celtic’s shock exit from the Champions League on Wednesday, however, and it’s claimed we’re ‘back in the race’ to sign the prolific Frenchman as a result.
This again comes from the Daily Mail, not that I’m holding my breath or expecting anything to come of it based on A) his likely price tag in relation to our pitiful budget and B) the sides said to be competing with Steve Bruce’s NUFC for his signature.
Dominic King’s latest ‘exclusive’ states that Newcastle’s recruitment team have been in touch with Celtic, but insists we are in the middle of a four-way battle, with Leicester, Aston Vill and Everton also keen to sign him.
As the title suggests, I believe Edouard has all the traits to become a top striker and think he’ll shine in the Premier League when he eventually arrives.
However, we’d have to blow entire budget on him alone and seem unlikely to beat three Premier League sides to his signature given the current state of affairs at St James’ Park.
We’re absolutely desperate for a striker and should do all we can to secure what would be a dream signing that could lift the mood on Tyneside considerably, I just struggle to see how we pull this one off with a limited budget and unmotivated owner who seems keen to only dip into the bargain basement this summer.
Let’s hope Mike makes moves to protect his asset and proves me wrong!