This comes from their man in the North-East, Luke Edwards, who paints a very promising pictures regarding our attempts to sign all three.
He states that we are ‘increasingly confident’ we’ll beat Aston Villa to Wilson, with the player preferring a move to Tyneside and Bournemouth in favour of our bid due to us offering the £20m in ‘one lump sum’.
Elsewhere, Edwards states that a medical has been booked in for Fraser and that we beat off several Premier League sides after offering the 26-year-old winger superior personal terms and a move up North to be closer to his family in Aberdeen.
As for Lewis, he writes that our £13.5m offer has been accepted – again due to it being an upfront payment that Norwich prefer and NOT in instalments – and says that his move to St James’ Park is ‘expected’ to be finalised before Saturday’s trip to the London Stadium.
Here’s a few snippets from his piece for The Telegraph on all things NUFC:
Newcastle United could have three more signings in place before their opening game of the Premier League season after Norwich City accepted a £13.5m offer for left-back Jamal Lewis.
The Northern Ireland international was one of the success stories of Norwich’s disappointing return to the top-flight and is expected to finalise the move to the North East before Newcastle take on West Ham next weekend.
As revealed by Telegraph Sport last Tuesday, the Magpies are close to winning the race to sign former Bournemouth winger Ryan Fraser with the Scotland international travelling to Tyneside on Friday. He is expected to have a medical over the weekend.
Crystal Palace, Arsenal and Celtic were also linked with the 26-year-old, but Newcastle were able to offer the best personal terms as well as allow Fraser to move closer to his family in Scotland.
Newcastle are also increasingly confident they will sign England international Callum Wilson, despite competition from Aston Villa in their pursuit of the 28-year-old.
Villa had an offer of £15m rejected by Bournemouth on Friday and Newcastle are prepared to pay around £20m for Wilson, with the money again paid immediately in one lump sum which will help the Championship club’s own recruitment plans.
So, a very positive take on the transfer front and a suggestion that all THREE deals remain well and truly on course.
It’s also worth noting that Bruce said after the Stoke game that we were ‘close’ to a few new signings and that he was “very, very confident” we’d get the necessary deals done before next month’s transfer deadline.
Two free agents have arrived so far in Hendrick and Gillespie, but deals for Wilson (£20m), Lewis (£13.5m) and Fraser (a ‘free’ that’s likely to cost a few million in agent fees) could take our summer spending to around £35m IF we do pull off all three deals in the coming days.
Interestingly, Luke Edwards has also revealed that Newcastle hope to utilise the loan market later this month in their bid to bring in another striker (alongside Wilson) following Dwight Gayle’s serious knee injury.
He states that we’ve been asked Liverpool to be kept in the loop regarding talented striker Rhian Brewster and are also weighing up a move for England U-21 star Eddie Nketiah.