After a loan move for Arsenal’s Rob Holding collapsed, it looks like we may have turned our attentions to Italy in our search for a new centre-back before Monday’s 11pm deadline.
That said, it sounds like it’s the former who we’ve made a move for, with Gazzetta dello Sport reporting this morning that we’ve now submitted a ‘loan bid’ for the Rugani.
The Daily Mail’s Simon Jones is also reporting on our interest in the Italian international – but claims we have West Ham for company – while Sky Italy also tipped us to make a move for the 26-year-old last week.
Longari revealed on Tuesday night that we were trying to beat Fulham to the signing of 6ft 3′ Gambian international Colley, but he too has suggested that a bid could go in for Rugani first – and it seems that may have gone in over the past 24 hours.
It’s been said on countless occasions that Bruce is looking at loans and may need to move on a few squad men before he can spend, however, so The Mail’s claim that Andrea Pirlo will ‘sell to the highest bidder’ may not bode well.
The Athletic claim we’ve lodged an inquiry over Norwich’s Ben Godfrey, but cut-price moves for Rugani or Colley seem far more likely given the Canaries star is likely to cost in excess of £20m!
Elsewhere on the centre-back front, Lee Ryder has played down The Telegraph’s claim that we’ve made contact with Man Utd’s Phil Jones over a potential loan move to St James’ Park.