Bruce issues new transfer update – Reveals top priority, budget issues & Joe Willock dilemma

Steve Bruce has confirmed that he ‘hasn’t got the biggest of budgets’ this summer, insisting that fans must be ‘patient’ as we await our first signing of the transfer window.

Speaking after last night’s 3-2 win over Doncaster, Bruce also confirmed that the ‘main area’ he is looking to strengthen is in midfield – not that he’s any closer to knowing if Joe Willock will return for a second spell at St James’ Park.

The NUFC boss says he still doesn’t know if Arsenal will sell him or even allow him to leave on loan, leaving our transfer plans in limbo as we wait for a much needed breakthrough.

Bruce has also admitted that we are mainly looking in the loan market, and even hinted that we’ll wait for the ‘big clubs’ to decide who they’ll not be needing ahead of the new season – suggesting we’ll be sniffing around to sign their unwanted men in a few weeks time!

Here’s what he told BBC Radio Newcastle in a pretty frustrating transfer update after the game:

“We’re going to still have to be patient.

“I know that’s awful from me but we haven’t the biggest of budgets.

“In the market we’re looking at – loan market in particular – we’re going to have to let the big, big clubs go to work.”

“With Joe Willock, we just have to be patient with it. Will Arsenal let him out? Will they sell him? – those are the questions we keep asking Arsenal.

“We’ll keep bashing away at one or two things.”

“It’s been difficult for every club. Managers always want players but it’s very difficult when you haven’t got a lot of money.”

“Midfield is the main area. We’re weaker than we were last year because we haven’t got Joe Willock.

“We need to keep improving but it’s very difficult with limited funds, but I’ll keep bashing away to try to improve us, little by little.”

He really does sound like Mike Ashley’s dream in situations like this…

Bruce also confirmed that the club are looking to move on Yoshinori Muto, who didn’t feature last night following his return from a loan spell in Spain.

The NUFC boss also explained why Ritchie, Manquillo, Joelinton and Anderson weren’t involved, also confirming that Krafth and Schar will be back from their post-Euro 2020 breaks next week:

“Muto – we’re trying to find a solution (for his future) but he was also a little bit sore.”

“Matt Ritchie was a little bit sore after training yesterday so we weren’t going to risk that.

“We hope Manquillo and Joelinton will train on Monday. We’ve got Schär and Krafth back from internationals.”

“Elliot’s [Anderson] got a problem with his hip that’s a concern to us. We gave him time off over the summer but, unfortunately, that hasn’t cleared the situation up.

“He’s only a kid, so a lot of it is still (to do with) growing.”

About Olly Hawkins

Olly has been a Junior Magpie from birth. As a season ticket holder and avid Newcastle United fan - he eats, sleeps and breathes all things NUFC.

One thought on “Bruce issues new transfer update – Reveals top priority, budget issues & Joe Willock dilemma

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Question   Razz  Sad   Evil  Exclaim  Smile  Redface  Biggrin  Surprised  Eek   Confused   Cool  LOL   Mad   Twisted  Rolleyes   Wink  Idea  Arrow  Neutral  Cry   Mr. Green