Following a 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa last weekend and Wednesday’s Carabao Cup exit, Newcastle take on Southampton in today’s crucial game at St James’ Park.
The team news has arrived ahead of the 3pm kick off, seeing us line up as follows against a Saints side featuring former Mag Adam Armstrong:
STARTING 11: Woodman – Murphy, Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez, Ritchie – S Longstaff, Willock, Almiron – Saint-Maximin, Wilson.
SUBS: Gillespie, Clark, Joelinton, Lewis, Hendrick, Krafth, Manquillo, Fraser, Gayle.
So, just one change from the side that lost at Villa Park last Saturday, with Sean Longstaff replacing the injured Isaac Hayden and Jonjo Shelvey missing out once again.
The following players are not involved in today’s game:
- Jonjo Shelvey – Calf injury. Set to be missing for another 2-3 weeks.
- Isaac Hayden – Limped off last weekend and only returned to training on Thursday.
- Martin Dubravka – Has an infected foot following surgery. Set to be out for another month or two.
- Karl Darlow – Still on the road to recovery after being hospitalised by Covid last month.
- Paul Dummett – Has returned to training, however this one comes too soon for the defender.
Here’s the Southampton side we’ll be facing today, with £15m man Adam Armstrong leading the line for the visitors: