We’ll find out more during Steve Bruce’s pre-match press conference tomorrow, but there are currently SEVEN players at risk of missing Saturday’s trip to Man Utd:
- Callum Wilson (thigh injury)
- Ryan Fraser (spotted leaving Scotland camp on crutches)
- Miguel Almiron (could be banned after Paraguay’s complaint to FIFA)
- Jonjo Shelvey (Ruled out for ‘at least’ 3-4 weeks at the end of August)
- Karl Darlow (Only just returned to training after bad bout of Covid)
- Martin Dubravka (Infected foot after surgery)
One recently absent player who could return is Isaac Hayden. He’s not been seen since limping off at half-time in our 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa, but, after training prior to the 2-2 draw with Southampton, he should be ready to return after the two-week break.
Paul Dummett is also expected to be available for the first time this season, having trained over the international break.
With all of the above in mind, here’s the side that could well start at Old Trafford this weekend:
(5-3-2): Woodman – Murphy, Fernandez, Lascelles, Dummett, Ritchie – S Longstaff, Hayden, Willock – Saint-Maximin, Joelinton.
Three changes: Schar, Almiron and Wilson OUT. Dummett, Hayden and Joelinton IN?
This may seem a little harsh on Schar, but with Dummett fit again and the right-footed Swiss international not suited to playing on the left side of a back three, it wouldn’t surprise me if the local lad is thrown in.
In midfield, Almiron and Fraser’s absence could see Willock push up to that ‘no.8’ role in midfield, while Joelinton seems likely to replace Wilson, having been subbed on ahead of Dwight Gayle in our each of our three games so far this season.