According to The Telegraph, the new owners of Newcastle United are discussing appointing an ‘experienced interim manager’ to replace Steve Bruce until a suitable long-term option emerges.
Bruce was expected to be sacked this week, however it was revealed on Thursday that the 60-year-old will be on media duties for today’s press conference and looks set to be in the dugout this Sunday.
That said, The Telegraph say he’s still expected to be sacked by the Saudi-backed consortium – even if we win on Sunday – it just seems they’ve been reluctant to pull the trigger until a replacement is in place.
No names are mentioned in the piece when it comes to a potential interim appointment – a role Guus Hiddink took up twice at Chelsea – however they claim Portuguese coach Paulo Fonseca is on our radar as a potential long-term option.
The former Roma and Shakhtar Donetsk boss is known for playing an attacking style of football and is said to be keen on a move to England, with him being interviewed for the Tottenham job earlier this year.
It’s claimed Frank Lampard and Lucien Favre are also on the Saudis shortlist, however Brendan Rodgers and Rafa Benitez are believed to be non-starters, being settled at Leicester and Everton respectively.
Who knows, perhaps there’s been a few early knock-backs, leading to the consortium looking at a short-term appointment able to keep us up and oversee the early stages of this new era?
Elsewhere, the piece claims that two others key appointments are also being focused on, with the club eager to replace managing director Lee Charnley and bring in a sporting director.