According to The Telegraph, Eddie Howe has ‘provisionally accepted’ the Newcastle United job – but may not arrive in time for Saturday’s trip to Brighton.
Luke Edwards’ latest piece claims that our new owners have offered the 43-year-old a two-and-a-half-year contract, which could keep him on Tyneside until 2024.
The report also states that Howe will bring a few long-serving staff members with him – one being former assistant Jason Tindall.
Tindall worked alongside Howe at Bournemouth and is currently a coach at Sheffield United, having been sacked by the Cherries earlier this year during a brief spell in charge over the first half of the 2020/21 season.
It’s believed Howe is also happy to work with current NUFC coach Graeme Jones – who appears to have been given assurances over his future at the club.
The Telegraph also claim that Howe will bring three staff members with him, with Jason Tindall expected to be joined by former Bournemouth coaches Simon Weatherstone and Stephen Purches.
This would signal the end for Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence – two coaches brought in after Steve Bruce’s arrival in 2019.
So, it’s not quite a done deal just yet, as our owners are said to be reluctant to get ahead of themselves after the way things panned out with Unai Emery, but it seems pretty certain that Eddie Howe will become the new manager of Newcastle United in the coming days!
Jones will remain in charge of the Newcastle United team against Brighton this weekend with Howe poised to become the club’s new manager at the start of the international break. Talks with Howe are progressing smoothly, but have not yet been finalised and after the experience of missing out on Emery earlier this week there is no talk of deals being done or definitive outcomes.
But the expectation is that Howe will agree to become Steve Bruce’s permanent replacement after the various strands of the consortium agreed on Wednesday night that he is the man they want to do the job.
The only other name given serious consideration, when Emery publicly snubbed an offer from Newcastle’s new owners, is Belgium’s Roberto Martinez, although he is understood to want to remain an international manager until the World Cup in Qatar next year.
Contact was swiftly made with both Howe and his agent on Wednesday and those talks were said to be positive as they continued on Thursday.