Around 5pm yesterday, Sky Sports released some ‘breaking news stating that two unnamed clubs from the Premier League and Serie A had matched our £30m bid for Diego Carlos.
This was a peculiar story given Sevilla had already rejected our offer at this price, making you question why rival bidders would A) fail to better our bid and B) remain unnamed.
The timing was also a bit off, with this coming at a point where talks between Sevilla and Newcastle were said to be at an ‘advanced’ stage, less than 24 hours after Sky Sports claimed the player himself had handed in an official transfer request.
As a result, the Daily Express‘ Ryan Taylor has revealed in a Wednesday morning ‘exclusive’ that Newcastle United could pull the plug on talks with Sevilla; who are believed to have changed the goalposts once again by demanding we up our £30m offer to a whopping £50m if we want to bring the Brazilian to St James’ Park.
Taylor also reports that we have already agreed personal terms with Carlos over a ‘lucrative five-year contract’, yet he told the Spanish press “I have a lot of time left here (in Seville)” just last night when asked for an update on his future following a 1-1 draw in Valencia.
Who knows, we may ‘abandon’ talks in an attempt to call Sevilla’s bluff, as they may soften their stance over a sale or the player himself could push for a move if he feels like the contract of a lifetime is now slipping away.
Either way, as much as we need new signings ASAP, it would set a very dangerous precedent for future deals – both in the short and long term – if we allowed ourselves to be messed about by sellers and agreed to pay way over the odds to sign top targets.