A round up of all of today’s news & transfer gossip:
- Despite claims the Chronicle that Mikel Merino’s release clause could be £13m, it’s been revealed in Spain today that the midfielder is actually set to join Real Sociedad for €10m – meaning Newcastle look set to receive just £8.5m – Full story here.
- According to reports in Italy this morning, Newcastle are eyeing a move to sign Colombian international striker Duvan Zapata – the striker Rafa Benitez signed back in 2013 during his spell with Napoli – Full story here.
- Former Newcastle defender Davide Santon has completed a surprise £8.5m move to Roma, coming just a few months on from receiving shocking death threats at former club Inter Milan – Full story here- Full story here.
- According to the Mirror, West Brom boss Darren Moore is considering a move to sign Newcastle winger Rolando Aarons this summer – Full story here.
- Anderlecht’s director has revealed just how deals to sign Chancel Mbemba and Matz Sels broke down – suggesting that Mbemba was swayed by late interest from Porto, whilst the club were simply unable to afford an ‘expensive’ Matz Sels – Full story here.
- According to reports in France, Newcastle were ‘in talks’ to sign highly-rated Lyon defender Moutcar Diakhaby, however the player has agreed to join Valencia instead after we failed to even make an offer for the 21-year-old – Full story here.
- During a Q&A for the Chronicle, Chris Waugh has attempted to explain why we may have seen so little activity in the transfer window so far – admitting that the club may be waiting to do deals until they receive a £40m payment from the Premier League next month – Full story here.
- According to the Chronicle’s Mark Douglas, Newcastle were all set to sign Spanish U-21 striker Sandro Ramirezlast summer – only for Everton to ‘blow us out of the water’ at the last minute with a contract offer significantly higher than the one we were offering – Full story here.
- And finally, as we look ahead to pre-season, here’s a closer look at Victor Fernandez – the youngster all NUFC fans should have their eye on this summer – Full story here.