A round-up of today’s NUFC news and gossip:
- Steve Bruce has revealed that Andy Carroll ‘still isn’t right’, admitting he still doesn’t know when the striker will be fit after failing to overcome an undiagnosed hip injury over the winter break.
- Jetro Willems has been spotted back on Tyneside today – and has insisted he’s desperate to play for the club again, despite his knee injury cutting his season-long loan spell short.
- Steve Bruce says there’s ‘no update’ on the takeover front when quizzed this morning, but stated contract talks with the two Longstaff’s are ongoing – Watch his response to both questions here.
- Alex Bruce – the son of Steve – has admitted he’s urged his dad to bring Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard to Newcastle United – Read his comments here.
- Joelinton has been passed fit for Sunday’s trip to Arsenal, while Gayle and Muto are ‘touch and go’ to make the squad after returning to training – but Shelvey remains out until next week.
- According to the Northern Echo, Steve Bruce will ‘urge’ Lee Charnley to open contract talks with Andy Carroll – but the Mirror’s Simon Bird claims any new deal has been put ‘on hold’ until he proves his fitness.
- U-23 star Tom Allan has been training with the first team once again this week – suggesting once again that he’s the NUFC youngster closest to breaking into Steve Bruce’s senior side.
- The Chronicle’s Mark Douglas has predicted that one of Fabian Schar, Florian Lejeune or Federico Fernandez may leave this summer, with Bruce planning to move away from a ‘five at the back’ system soon.