A round up of all of today’s news & gossip:
- Rafa Benitez has warned Islam Slimani that he won’t be walking straight into the NUFC team once he’s back from international duty with Algeria, saying he must show he is ‘better than’ our current options – with Dwight Gayle having ‘done well’ in his absence – Full story here.
- Top January target Nicolai Jorgensen has spoken of his regret at missing out on a move to Newcastle United, admitting that it was a ‘big dream’ to play in the Premier League – Full story here.
- Football writer Graham Ruthven has written a thought provoking piece for Yahoo Sport today, suggesting that fan ownership could be the way forward at Newcastle United if we do truly want to see the back of Mike Ashley – Full story here.
- Former NUFC boss Steve McClaren believes Aleksandar Mitrovic needs to be ‘loved, trusted and believed in’ and feels that’s why Fulham are getting the best out of him – something he clearly feels Rafa Benitez was not doing when they were together on Tyneside – Full story here.
- Algeria coach Rabah Madjer has confirmed that Islam Slimani will NOT play against in his side’s upcoming friendlies unless he is ‘100 per cent fit’ – coming as reassuring news for Benitez and NUFC fans concerned he may aggravate his thigh injury – Full story here.
- The Chronicle have confirmed that Rafa Benitez is looking to secure permanent deals for Kenedy and Martin Dubravka this summer – with Manchester Utd’s Luke Shaw also a player he ‘retrains an interest in’ – Full story here.
- A confident NUFC fan has explained why he feels Newcastle’s Premier League safety is all but assured – despite us being just 4 points above the drop zone with 8 games left. Full story here.
- And finally, Simon has written a though provoking piece on the Islam Slimani signing, explaining why he could still prove to be a useful buy even if he doesn’t kick a ball for NUFC – Full story here.