This takeover saga has dragged on a little longer than most wanted it to, but there’s been more and more signs emerge over the bank holiday weekend to suggest this really is about to happen – and soon.
Last week, George Caulkin tipped it to be announced this week, a House of Saud site said similar, North-East reporter Ian Murtagh claimed on Friday that Mike Ashley’s 13-year reign was coming to an end and, over the weekend, the BBC’s Dan Roan said the deal ‘will go through’.
To add to all of the above, the reliable NUFC.com – a site that rarely speculates or puts its neck on the line – shared a short but sweet update last night, stating the deal will be ratified and announced before the weekend.
Here’s a snippet from their latest post on Sunday evening:
‘We understand that the much-heralded purchase of Newcastle United by a consortium comprising the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers will be ratified and announced before next weekend.
‘That will follow the granting of formal approval of the deal by the Premier League – a process that has taken around five weeks, due in part to controversy over the Saudi involvement and efforts to restart the season.‘
Another reassuring sign that it really is a matter of when, not if, with many on Twitter believing this is another clear indicator that we’ve got nothing to worry about and will hear the news we’ve all been waiting for this week:
As stated above, they were the first to share news of Keegan’s sudden departure during his second stint at St James’ Park and don’t seem to comment on big rumours such as this unless they know it to be a fact.
Get those cans out of the freezer and back in the fridge lads and lasses, it looks like we’ve not got long to wait now!