This gives fans the opportunity to back a project that could allow us to buy a 1% stake in OUR club under new owners, ensuring supporter representation when the day arrives that Mike Ashley is no longer in charge.
The scheme will ultimately “live or die” on the support it receives from us Newcastle United fans, meaning the NUST are encouraging Mags up and down the country and across the globe to pledge whatever they can afford – even if it be £1 a month.
See the announcement video below and sign up HERE to be part of the most ambitious fan-led initiative English football has ever seen:
- There’s no timescale, with the Trust saying they are in it for the “long haul” as they bid to raise a minimum of £3million to get them around the table with potential new owners
- They are NOT trying to buy the club off Mike Ashley – and will only deal with someone taking over from the Sports Direct owner
- They believe a sizeable fund would enable them to prove the commitment of fans to new owners while bringing something tangible to the table
- The money would only be used for the purpose of buying a share in Newcastle. Every penny donated will either be used for that or donated to North East charities if the appeal is unsuccessful
- In return for the fans’ financial backing, NUST would like new owners to allow the Trust to work within the club, either through an executive board position or another role which can allow the Trust, its members and the supporters of Newcastle United to influence the club and its future direction
(Via The Chronicle)