Following a 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa last weekend, Newcastle take on Burnley at St James’ Park in the second round of the Carabao Cup.
The team news has arrived ahead of tonight’s 7.45pn kick off at St James’ Park, seeing us line up as follows against Sean Dyche’s side:
STARTING 11: (5-3-2) – Woodman – Manquillo, Krafth Lascelles, Clark, Lewis – Hendrick, S Longstaff, Fraser – Joelinton, Gayle.
SUBS: Gillespie, Schar, Matty Longstaff, Saint-Maximin, Murphy, Almiron, Willock.
So, NINE changes, with Woodman and Lascelles the only two to keep their place after Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Villa.
The following players are not involved in today’s game:
- Jonjo Shelvey – Has picked up another calf injury which will keep him out for ‘three to four weeks.’
- Isaac Hayden – Missed training this week after being forced off at Villa with a knee problem.
- Martin Dubravka – Set for another eight weeks out after his foot became infected following surgery.
- Karl Darlow – Still on the road to recovery after being hospitalised by Covid last month.
- Paul Dummett – Has returned to training, however tonight comes too soon for the defender.
- Elliot Anderson – Struggled with a hip injury all summer but believed to be nearing a return.
- Federico Fernandez – Not in the squad.
- Callum Wilson – Not in the squad.
- Matt Ritchie – Not in the squad.
Here’s the Burnley side we’ll be facing, seeing them make SIX changes from their defeat at Liverpool last weekend: