We would like to place on record our best wishes to Steve Bruce, his staff and our squad for the forthcoming season ahead of Sunday’s game against Arsenal.
As a collective of 10 supporter groups, we are committed to a long-term campaign with the sole objective of driving Mike Ashley out of Newcastle United. #BoycottArsenal is not a one-off and tomorrow’s protests are just the beginning of a renewed supporter-led effort to force Ashley to find a genuine buyer for our football club.
We will continue to support our club however, like thousands of other fans, will not be entering St James’s Park on Sunday.
Our collective will be meeting at Sports Direct, Northumberland Street at 12:45pm, where we welcome other fans to join us. We will then march to St James Park at 1pm before a peaceful protest outside of the club store at 1:30pm. At 2pm we will head into local venues showing the match.
By boycotting the game tomorrow, we are demonstrating to a worldwide television audience that we are taking at stand against Mike Ashley’s continued mismanagement of Newcastle United football club.
Our training ground and academy has been underinvested whilst our stadium is run down.
The club’s commercial revenue has stagnated because our owner is more interested in having his associated brands shown worldwide with the club receiving very little in return for the privilege. Club merchandise is sold through Sports Direct which is of no discernible benefit to the club. Our net spend on new players in the last three years is less than that of a number of Championship clubs. Mike Ashley: We are not going away and this will not blow over.
Joe Moore, a spokesperson for one of the groups in the collective, Empty For Ashley comments:
“Ashley’s ownership is synonymous with a lack of genuine trophy challenges and a 17th place finish being deemed a success – he has openly admitted that he ‘probably shouldn’t own a football club’ and we couldn’t agree more. It’s time to take a stand and boycotting the Arsenal match is the start of our movement, which aims to force Ashley to find a genuine and ambitious buyer for the club.
“Thousands of fans haven’t renewed their season tickets and thousands more have turned their backs on St James’s Park entirely, that shouldn’t have to be the case. As a season ticket holder boycotting this weekend, you can guarantee an empty seat, which can’t be sold on – and every empty seat sends a visible statement to the wider footballing community.”
@EmptyForAshley / @NUFC360 / @MagpieGroupNUFC / @NWestMagpies /@LondonMagpies / @NUFCBlogcouk / @Ashleyoutdotcom / @IfRafaGoesWeGo /@Mike_Ashley_Out / @MaintainSJP
We have been working hard to secure discounts and promotions from different bars and restaurants, which will be showing the game as part of our Support Our Toon initiative. Matchdays are worth millions to local venues every season and we are keen to see those businesses avoid as much impact as possible from fan discontent.
Venues participating in Support Our Toon include:
- Spot White, 14-18 Stowell Street, NE1 4QX – Free pool subject to availability, bottles from £2.50 and shots from £1. Children are welcome.
- Idols/Vaults, 15 Bigg Market, NE1 1UN – Bottles from £2, pints from £3, £3.50 double vodka and mixer. Adult entertainment.
- The Hancock, 2A Hancock Street, NE2 4PU – £10 pitchers, 10% discount of food valid using this, or last year’s, season ticket. Entered into a raffle to win a signed NUFC football.
- Sinners, 63 Newgate Street, NE1 5RF – 3 bottles of Carlsberg/VK for £6 and £3.95 house trebles.
- The North terrace, 23-26 North Terrace, Claremont Street, NE2 4AN – Normal menu instead of Sunday menu. Pizza and a pint for £8. 2 for £6 on select pints. ‘Half time madness’ deal – 50p off pints. Selected pints £2.50.
- Filthys, 22-28 Bigg Market, NE1 1UW – Selected bottles at £1.50.
- Players, The Gate, Newgate Street, NE1 5TG – 2 pints for £5.95.
- Don Vito’s, 86 Pilgrim Street, NE1 6SG – Pizza and a pint for £10 upon quoting “Support Our Toon” when ordering.
- Dougies Tavern, Hebburn, NE31 1ST – £2 pints during 90 minutes. Free shots of Sambuca when Newcastle score and free bar snacks throughout.
- Antler, Pilgrim Street, NE1 6BJ – Amstel £3.50, Strongbow Dark fruit £3.50, Bottle of Heineken or Sol £3.00, Single house spirit and mixer £3.00, glass of wine £3.00. 2 pint steins / 4 pint pitchers/bottle bucket deals will also be available.
- Union Rooms, Westgate Road, NE1 1TT – Coors 2 for £6 , 2 pizzas for £10, 2 Premium bottles £5 (Corona, Bud, Becks),Bucket of 6 beers + a pizza for £20