A round up of all of today’s NUFC related news and gossip:
- Newcastle could be dealt a blow ahead of Sunday’s clash with Swansea, as an exclusive by The Independent reports that Rafa Benitez has missed training all week after recovering from an operation, meaning he could be forced to sit out the trip to Wales.
- Chancel Mbemba scored for DR Congo in last night’s 2-2 draw with Tunisia, however hobbled off in the 59th minute, leaving Rafa Benitez to sweat on the extent of his possible injury.
- Newcastle United have released the three nominees for the club’s player of the month award for August, with Christian Atsu, Ciaran Clark and Mikel Merino being the candidates. CLICK HERE to cast your vote.
- Disappointing news today for a former Mag, as Jose Enrique has been forced into early retirement from the game at the age of just 31 following reoccurring knee problems. See his message to NUFC fans here.
- Aleksandar Mitrovic’s Serbia got the better of Ciaran Clark’s Republic of Ireland in last night’s crucial World Cup qualifier with a 1-0 win in Ireland, however the 22-year old striker has not been able to avoid controversy once again, being accused of simulation.
- The most popular names printed on the back of Premier League shirts in the UK this summer has been revealed, with past and present NUFC trio Matt Ritchie, Dwight Gayle and Cheick Tiote making it into the top 30.
- Freddie Woodman could be soon knocking on the first team door at NUFC, with the England U-20 World Cup winner starting between the sticks in England U-21’s 3-0 win over Latvia last night, highlighting his progression through the national team’s ranks.
(Fancy writing for us? Send any articles/ideas over to us at NUFCblogsubmissions@gmail.com & we’ll get back to you!)
About Olly Hawkins
Olly has been a Junior Magpie from birth. As a season ticket holder and avid Newcastle United fan - he eats, sleeps and breathes all things NUFC.