A round up of all of today’s news and gossip:
- Former NUFC midfielder John Barnes has delivered his verdict on deadline day striker signing Islam Slimani, stating the fans will definitely take to him due to his aggressiveness, strength and ability to score goals. Full story here.
- According to Football Italia, Rafa Benitez has his eye on Serie A striker Mattia Destro and is ‘keen to tempt him to make the move to the North-East’ this summer. Full story here.
- After sealing a deadline day move to Serie A side Hellas Verona, Rolando Aarons has spoken to the Italian press for the first time, admitting that he still believes he can become a ‘top player’ as he explains his decision to move abroad over a drop down to the Championship. Full story here.
- Former NUFC boss Alan Pardew has got his struggling West Brom side in even more trouble, with him now having to deal with an ‘investigation’ following an incident on the Baggies’ mid-season break in Spain this week – claimed to involve FOUR drunk senior players ‘stealing a taxi’ in Barcelona! Full story here.
- Mark Lawrenson has offered his take on Mike Ashley’s position at Newcastle United, asking fans to remember that he is actually a ‘very good businessman’ and a Tottenham fan, suggesting this is why he will do what he likes as ‘it’s his money’. Read his comments here.
- According to reports in Turkey, Newcastle had a €8m (£7.1m) bid rejected for Galatasaray winger Garry Rodrigueslast month and could return for him in the summer with an improved offer. Full story here.
- Kenedy, Dubravka and Slimani may have been the only ‘official’ new arrivals on Tyneside during the January window, but it feels to us like we’ve signed much more than 3. Read full piece here to see why.
- And finally – ‘Newcastle WON’T be going down this season’ – Five reasons why I’m sure we’ll beat the drop’ – A positive piece by Simon that will make you feel much better ahead of the relegation run in. Read his piece here.